Tuesday 13 May 2014

Summer is on the way

I have been a busy Mum recently with getting things ready and educating the children,

 I started re-fashioning as a hobby, I am remaking my wardrobe into some wearable clothing for summertime esp as it looks like we are off to Greece ( I think a Greek Island ) for a week in August.
I so far have transformed some of one of my old Sarong's into a top and will be making a nice skirt from the remaining part. I have ripped some triangular pockets out of a top that i could not see the point of in the first place as the moment you put anything in the pocket the top always pulled down to that side since its a jersey knit fabric. I need to take in the sides to that top more I think still as its a touch loose. 
I have plans for my other Sarong to become a nice summer skirt but still unsure of the style I want since the print is rather geometric in shape. and my wrap around skirt is going to benefit from the addition of a zipper and being closed at the least though part of me wants to mix it with some white cotton and make a nice top out of it and headband.
I also have plans for a few of M's old t-shirts hoping I can make a colour block dress out of a couple of the ones that have lost their shape in the wash so he doesn't wear them anymore anyway.

I want a big huge pile of throw cushions but that will take some money to buy fabric which I don't currently have at my disposal. I am hoping I can start to make something to sell that would raise a bit of cash but undecided quite as to what it should be. Possibly personalised Christmas stockings though I need to get one made for each of our family first though we will all get Knitted ones once I finish M's one.

I have finally put into reality my dream of playing bass guitar and I am learning slowly between all my other current hobbies and the never ending household jobs list that comes with being a mother to 4 crazy little boys who are now ALL mobile ( making nothing in my home safe anymore ) I really enjoy music and have started putting my pen back to the old paper and jotting down lyrics as inspiration takes me.

We ( the boys and myself ) are having an absolute blast as home-educators the freedom to learn about what takes their imagination each day is great. The basics of reading and math are coming along nicely and from looking at the primary science curriculum the other day then I think we about have that covered with some lovely ideas from Pintrest.com to help with the practical sides of it. 

One goal is to get more outdoors focused learning in during the warmer months of the year it seems a waste to not take advantage of God's wonderful creation to learn the nature based sciences during the good weather. I don't see the need for a " summer holiday " time as such as learning at this age is something that happens each and every day regardless of pen being put to paper or not. I hope my children develop a love and a passion for gaining knowledge not just learning facts.

Little CJ our youngest boy is now 7 1/2 months old and crawling rather well, chasing on the heels of his older brothers for sure and AJ the next oldest from him is doing well also though still fairly wordless ( not that he doesn't know them he just chooses not to implement that knowledge in daily life ) we get surprises from him when he chooses to express himself verbally but he is a polite child and uses sign language for please, thankyou, sorry, and will demonstrate his need/want for something by fetching an associated item, ie.. if he wants a drink he will get his cup and point to the sink and sign please. If he wants food he will do the same but with a plate and the cupboard or fridge depending on what food he desires. I'm choosing to work with him on his verbal English skills saying both the phonectic sounds of the Alphabet as well as the names of the letters and sounding out words and repeating words with him. He is making his own progress in his own sweet time and some days its a complete pleasure if the elder ones are occupied and quiet ( not that it happens often ) that I dont have a noisy 2 1/2 yr old chatting away in my ear. instead as he is right now he chooses to read to himself sat next to me under my arm. EJ is flying along with his English and Math skils, we often get him telling us that " I can't do this , I need help" but often all the help needed is to sit with him and reassure him that he does indeed posses the skill and knowledge for the task at hand. considering he's supposed to be in his Nursery year then he is flying ahead of where he should be. NJ is doing great with his reading and math also. though often it takes a bit more work to keep him focused to task he does enjoy the practical maths we do alot more than any bookwork. 

A HUGE change is looming in our future which could dramatically alter the "norm" for our household but I can't say what just yet... you will have to wait for the next installment

No comments: